Reppucci & Roeder | Juvenile Law | Practice Areas | Emancipation
Proudly advocating for the rights and protection of children


In Arizona, an individual is not considered an independent adult until they reach age 18. Until that time, the parents (or legal guardians) are responsible for providing for the child’s basic needs. However, some minors are ready to assume the responsibilities and independence of adulthood before that time and wish to terminate their legal relationship with their parents. 

Teens who are 16 or 17 years of age can file a motion for emancipation in Arizona. If granted, the emancipated status will allow them to buy real estate, assume debts, obtain social services, handle their own medical records and permissions, and more. When filing for emancipation, they must also provide evidence to support the need for it, as this will permanently excuse the parents from any obligation to provide for the child. This evidence will need to be proof of one of the following conditions: 


This Evidence will need to be proof of the one of the following


  • Teen has been living on their own for at least three months; 
  • Teen must demonstrate why their family home is an unsafe environment from which they need to be removed; 
  • Teen must have a notarized document signed by parents consenting to emancipation. 

When determining whether to grant emancipation, the court will consider the teen’s criminal record, employment, and ability to provide for him or herself, the testimony or wishes of parents, family, and friends, and the maturity and perceived ability of the teen to handle the responsibilities of adulthood. 


If you are planning to petition the court for emancipated status, call Reppucci and Roeder for a consultation. We can help the process go smoothly, even in complicated and unusual cases. 

Get Free Consultation